[rpd] New proposal - "AfriNIC Whois Database Update Process" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)

Jean Robert Hountomey jrhountomey at gmail.com
Mon May 19 11:53:57 UTC 2014

Andrew and Al,

Thank you for your comments.

 >If it takes this long to complete basic resource transfers for 5
organisations, how long is it going to take to complete an “annual
 > cleanup” of over 750 members?
 >Hence, I feel that where work is required on AfriNIC’s side, I’d like
to see them held to specific timelines by policy. If indeed point
 > 3.1.1 is covered by the timelines in 3.2, then the over points are moot.

Understood. If we want to be a little bit more restrictive will this
wording works

3.2. Change requested by another policy.

In case another AfriNIC policy makes mandatory a change or introduces
another object, the object owner is required to make this update.

3.3. Steps and timeline.

3.3.1 - Contact Initiation.

AfriNIC staff will ask members by email to confirm the accuracy of their
records in the Whois database within thirty (30) days.

Fifteen (15) days after the first contact initiation, AfriNIC Staff will
send a reminder email to members with no response and notify them that
they will enter in "Grace Period" in the next 15 days if there is no
response.

For contacts whose email has bounced back for "Non Delivery", AfriNIC
Staff will start using right away additional methods of communication to
reach the organizations.

3.3.2 - Grace Period.

Thirty one (31) days after the first contact initiation starts the Grace
Period. The Grace period lasts thirty (30) days.

During the Grace Period, AfriNIC Staff will use any communication tools
at their discretion to reach point of contacts, members, organizations
who have not confirmed the accuracy of their records. AfriNIC will
continue its efforts to reach those whose email has bounced back.

3.3.3 - Record is marked invalid and the community notified.

At the end of the Grace Period (61 days after the first contact
initiation), AfriNIC will publish the next day the Resources and the
Object Owners on a publicly available website and mark the record INVALID.

3.3.4. Conditions to withdraw an invalid record from the publicly
available website.

An invalid Resource Record that has not expired can be withdrawn at
anytime from the publicly available website after Object Owners (new or
old) address written notification to AfriNIC that they have updated the
database and AfriNIC has confirmed within fifteen (15) days after being
contacted that the newly available information is accurate. After fifty
(15) days of non confirmation, AfriNIC must notify Object Owners of the
reasons for non sending the notification.

3.3.5 - Expiration

One year after the first contact initiation, if the data is still not
accurate and the organization has failed to respond to the requests to
resolve the data inconsistency, AfriNIC will mark the Resource EXPIRED
and claim the number resources back. The resource will
the expiration, a new application with associated fees will be required
and there is no garantee that the Organization will keep the same pool.

3.3.6. - No Refund.

This current policy gives a year to an Organization to update its
information in the AfriNIC Database before expiration. In case a record
reaches an expiration status and is returned to AfriNIC's pool, the
organization cannot claim a refund for any portion of unused fund.

3.3.7. - Hours and timezone.

AfriNIC's headquarters' timezone is the reference. A day ends at 23:59
at AfriNIC's headquarters timezone.

Thanks.

Best Regards

Jean Robert