[members-discuss] [rpd] Discussion about e-voting

Keshwarsingh Nadan keshwarsingh.nadan at millenium.mu
Thu May 15 19:51:27 UTC 2014

>While I don’t presume to speak for Adiel or AfriNIC, I will say that I suspect the most likely reason is because even if Kofi does not respect issues of privacy or chooses to disclose information of an organization with which he has a relationship, an RIR cannot publicly disclose the confidential information of an applicant.

Interesting.. ICP-2 "Information collected by a RIR in the registration process must be kept in strict confidence, and used for registration purposes only. It must be transmitted only to another RIR or IANA upon request, but will not be transmitted to any other party unless explicitly agreed to in writing by the LIR/ISP served."

Pay a close attention to "only", "but", "unless"...

Back to your statement of; "an RIR cannot publicly disclose the confidential information of an applicant" (which is correct), my organisation is currently served by other RIRs (ARIN, LACNIC, RIPE) which so far have respected their engagement in terms of "information collected during registration process". On the other side, AfriNIC breached above on three occasions where registration staffs including Adiel overwhelmed a high octane excitement.

"RIRs may establish their own local standards and policies for confidentiality, providing that the basic confidentiality provisions are maintained."

A policy does exists, unfortunately basic confidentially provisions are not maintained by AfriNIC.