[rpd] Discussion about e-voting

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 13 00:52:52 UTC 2014

It _IS_ one voice one vote. The difference is that in this case, the voices are those of resource members who are, by their nature, organizational entities rather than individuals. At that point, since we’re talking about votes representing organizational entities, what does it matter whether an individual represents organization A or organizations B, C, D, and E… It’s still 5 votes and likely it’s still the same 5 votes. With the multiple organizations using a single person to cast their votes, it’s more convenient and less expensive for the organizations, but that’s about the
only thing it changes.

As an example, in the ARIN region, each member organization designates one DMR who casts the votes for that organization. At one point, I believe I was the DMR for something like 5 such organizations. Currently, I am the DMR for 3. This means that in each ARIN election, I currently cast 3 votes. As a general rule, all three organizations would turn to me for advice on how to vote whether I was casting their vote or not. However, in case any of the tells me to vote otherwise than my advice, I will do as instructed with their vote.  Making them hire someone else to cast their vote (or more likely having me hire someone) doesn’t really accomplish anything to change the election, it just makes the process more convoluted.

What gain do you perceive from that?

If members were individual people and not organizations, I could see your point. An individual shouldn’t have their voting rights procured, purloined, or otherwise enjoined by another entity. However, since we’re not talking about individuals, but rather organizations who must be represented by individuals anyway, I think it’s an entirely different problem.

Owen