Election process (was re: [rpd] AFRINIC Board Elections - 2014: Call for Nominations)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat May 10 13:13:55 UTC 2014

> There are some logistics which people may be missing.
> I see that there is a goal to move to 100% electronic voting, however
> until then.....
>
> Practically, the e-vote needs to be terminated some time before people
> collect their ballot papers. This is so that the ballot papers can be
> provided only to those entities allowed to vote because they have not
> yet exercised that right via the e-vote. In order to do this, logically,
> one needs to see which entities have used the e-vote so their
> representatives are not also given a ballot paper to vote with.

Actually, an alternative to this might be to in real time, be able to lock each voter
receiving a paper ballot out of eligibility for e-vote while leaving e-vote open. In
such a case, at the time the person requests a paper ballot, you could:

	1.	Lock them out of e-vote.
	2.	Verify they have not yet e-voted.
	3.	Issue the paper ballot.

In this way, you can leave e-voting open until the close of the election, but still
provide for paper voting as well.

By voter, I mean an entity eligible to cast a particular vote. Some persons are
multiple voters (such as Mark describes below) representing multiple voting
entities. In such a case, the above choice between paper and e-vote would
be on a vote-by-vote basis for each of the votes a given person is eligible to
cast. An optimization could make it convenient to make the election across
all eligible votes for a person in cases where the person wanted to, but that
would be optional.

> From a convenience point of view, the e-vote cut-off time is the evening
> before voting day. Names can then be checked. From the morning of voting
> day, paper ballots are issued to all still legible voters. This takes
> time. Paper Ballots are carried by their owners until they are
> "exercised" later on in the afternoon.
>
> I guess that in the process of checking the names of entities who have
> e-voted, one may also know how they have voted (though I might be
> wrong). I personally have no issues with this as long as the e-vote
> results are kept strictly confidential (as has been done).

If the system is properly designed, then the voter registration/admission
process does not have any access to the tally process.

> Once all the paper ballots have been submitted and counted, the results
> of the two systems can be safely merged into one election result and
> announced.

Yes. The e-vote tally should not be accessible to anyone until the paper
ballots have begun to be counted. In an ideal world, paper ballots would
be in a machine-readable form and could be scanned to produce a single
e-vote tally which includes both on-line and scanned votes.