[rpd] Implementation of Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPV4 Allocation Mechanism

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue Feb 25 01:43:46 UTC 2014

Hi Fiona,
At 04:02 23-02-2014, Fiona  Asonga wrote:
>IANA is seeking your guidance on the interpretation of the Global
>Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA,
>which was ratified in May 2012.
>http://www.icann.org/en/resources/policy/global-addressing/allocation-ipv4-post-exhaustion
>
>The global policy states that "Allocations from the IANA may begin
>once the pool is declared active." It is not clear whether this
>means that allocation from the Recovered IPv4 Pool should be made
>straight away or whether they should happen at the start of the next
>"IPv4 allocation period," the "6-month period following 1 March or 1
>September."
>
>IANA hopes we can advise them on the intended meaning of this
>sentence, so that they can implement the policy appropriately.
>
>There are two options to decide on here:
>
>1. Resolved (date) In implementing The Global Policy for Post
>Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA, ICANN staff should begin
>allocations from the Recovered IPv4 pool immediately after the pool
>is declared active.
>
>-or-
>
>2. Resolved (date) In implementing The Global Policy for Post
>Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA, ICANN staff should begin
>allocations from the Recovered IPv4 pool at the start of the first
>allocation period after the pool is declared active.

The following was posted (not in the AfriNIC region) during the
discussions leading to the policy:

   "Once it was activated by an RIR declaring that it has less than a /9
    in its inventory, IANA would have to make the first allocation.  IANA
    would then have to make additional allocations on 1 March and 1
    September each year, if there is enough address space left in the pool."

The above fits within (1).

In my opinion neither (1) nor (2) would have a negative impact on the
(AfriNIC region) IPv4 address pool.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy