[rpd] Re: [AFRINIC-rpd] [sig-policy] prop-111-v001: Request-based expansion of IPv6 default allocation size

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 29 14:27:11 UTC 2014

I would like to strongly encourage AfriNIC to move away from /29 reservations
and use sparse allocation (or bisection).

APNIC switched to this some time ago, but the /29s of which they speak are
the reservations between early IPv6 allocations.

As you may know, I have some operational experience with IPv6 address plans
for a wide variety of organizations. That experience is what lead to the structure
of the current ARIN IPv6 allocation and assignment policies. While I will not
presume to claim that those policies are perfect, I do believe that they provide
a much better (and easier to understand) framework for allocating/assigning
IPv6 addresses than the other current policies at this time.

Owen