[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC 19 - Minutes of the PDWG meeting in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Jackson Muthili jacksonmuthi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 12:32:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear members,
>
> This is to notify that the minutes from the AFRINIC19 PDWG Sessions are now
> published at:
>
> http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/archive/ppm-minutes/989-pdwg-meeting-minutes-afrinic19

Thank you.

> Some members suggested that from the discussions online, there is
> perception that it is difficult for HEIs to get resources from
> AFRINIC, where perhaps AFRINIC is requesting too much detail and
> seems to not fully understand network plans provided by the HEI.
> It was suggested that these are problems that can be addressed
> internally through staff training or process changes, rather than
> a change to the current IPv4 policy.

When a request is big it doesn't matter if its origin is HEI, it is
expected that Afrinic applies more scrutiny. This method applies
everywhere. A 1m USD bank loan application will be processed with
greater scrutiny than a 1000USD loan. Risk of fraud is higher with
size of application.

Therefore I don't put Afrinic at fault for requesting too much detail
from HEI or anybody with a large application.

> There were also come concerns about the possibility that HEIs
> could acquire IPv4 address space under this policy once ratified
> and trade those addresses outside the region for huge monetary
> gains.

And this ties to my point above.

> After analyzing the discussions in the meeting, the Chair
> determined that there was no consensus on the proposal, and that
> it goes back to the mailing list for further discussion.

I suggest that authors withdraw thiis HEI special policy immediately.

> Out of region resource usage (especially for IPv4 resources) was
> discussed, and the issue of many operators setting up in Africa
> to serve international customers, resulting in IPv4 addresses
> being used outside Africa. Some noted that this is actually a
> good thing, and that it is difficult to determine realistically
> what counts as usage out of the region since anyone can do
> business anywhere even if resources have been issued to a company
> in the region.

I agree that it is hard to cleary determine what counts as out of
region use. I reccomend Afrinic to apply more scrutiny on a company
registered offshore. That is is the first sign of possible fraud with
intent to use out of region.