[AFRINIC-rpd] PDP 'out of Africa' thought

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Nov 28 10:13:58 UTC 2013

Its PDP day today at AFRINIC Abidjan..

I was thinking about a policy that states something like "a minimum of
75% of all currently allocated/assigned IP Addresses should be used only
within the African Region."
That is - only 25% can be used outside the region.

We already have something like this for the "Last /8" - the figure is up
to 10% can be used outside.

Right now - I believe that an organisation with an African presence can
get an allocation of IPv4 addresses and use it entirely outside of the
area.
This policy should apply to all IPv4 and IPv6 blocks - except the last
IPv4 block (which has the 10% rule).  It should not apply to ASN
resources.

If the resource is an IPv4 block marked as AnyCast, then I'd like to
suggest that for every one point of presence in Africa, there can be
three points of presence outside the region - ie - the ratio can be the
other way around.
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE