[AFRINIC-rpd] Last call - Academic IPv4 Allocation- AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-03 -

Fabian Jr afabbie at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 9 09:27:18 UTC 2013

colleagues,

i would respond to the proposal with 3 comments/questions:

1. why are we struggling with re-allocation of IPv4 while IPv6 is plenty out there ready for use ? are we predicting any roll back to IPv4  for any reasons ?  If no i would propose that we push on  migration to IPv6

2.  i think we need to show case successfully stories of getting away with NAT, because a good number of institutions still believe NAT is security measure rather than a temporary answer to IPv4 Scarcity.....  i think we need to have a session in one of the coming AFNOG/AFRINIC meetings on migrating from NAT practice to Public IP Practice (best practice show cases are needed and insights)

3. in many other cases we have been addressing HEI together with Research Institutes (RI), example RENs e.g TERNET in .TZ, why on this discussion are we pulling out HEI from the combined HEI and RI category ?

rgds,

Arbogast Fabian,

cell:+255-78-447-8387