[AFRINIC-rpd] Last call - Academic IPv4 Allocation- AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-03 -

Bope Domilongo Christian christianbope at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 07:34:23 UTC 2013

Dear Community,

A lot of  debate and view was raised in the mailing list concerning this
policy. I'll not go through some detail. After following religiously the
discussion, comment and argument from those who support and not, I am
convince that for the sustainability and sufficiency of our community and
the interest of  Universities, supporting this will be unfair for my point
of view.

Writing on my personal ability, I am not support this policy for the
interest of the community.

It obvious that the majority of the community are not ready to support this
as it is.

Best Regards

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Dr Paulos Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw> wrote:
>

> > Academic IPv4 Allocation- AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-03
> >
> > A lot has been said already on this, I just want to add my voice that I
> am unable to
> > support this policy draft as it stands right now. I would also like to
> note that those
> > who are neutral on this are basically saying that there is no need to
> change policy as
> > of now with this draft.
>
> As one who is neutral, I will clarify that your statement here is not an
> accurate reflection
> of my viewpoint. There are many possible reasons someone may choose a
> neutral
> position on a policy without necessarily reflecting their belief as to
> whether policy
> needs to be changed or not.
>

> > I like to proposal because I am an academic, a hat that says I teach in
> at university
> > level. As an academic I tend to like aspects  of the policy that aim to
> improve the
> > situation for academic institutions. But I do not see why this should be
> restricted to
> > only HEI, whatever that is, it should go to other levels as well.
>
> Agreed. I have stated as much several times in this thread.
>
> > Basing IP address allocation on things like number of students and
> staffs basically says
> > that we would be basing this on the budget of the HEI and not on need
> for the IP
> > resources. But in most public HEIs, the budget is mostly based on need
> and utilisation,
> > so why would we move away from the same allocation based on need for IP
> resources?
>
> I disagree. First, we are not basing the allocation to the Educational
> Institution on the
> number of students and staff. We are setting a reasonable cap on the
> amount of number
> resources that they can request. The policy is clear that an Institution
> which requires less
> can request less based on their needs.
>
> In reality, the number of students and staff do serve as a reasonable
> proxy for judging
> the likely IP number resource requirements of the institution, so I do not
> believe this is
> an unreasonable approach.
>
> > The budget for most public HEIs is a very tight one almost all the time.
> This may
> > justify this policy which seems to aim to help cash-strapped HEIs but it
> also means
> > exposing Afrinic to more financially toxic items. Seeing the reported
> financial
> > statements this year, it becomes difficult, when I put on Afrinic hats,
> to assist one
> > set of African institutions while poisoning another.
>
> I think the use of the words toxic and poisoning here is inflammatory and
> [...]

Best Regards
Christian Bope Domilongo
Gtalk : christianbope at gmail.com
Msn : christianbope at hotmail.com