[AFRINIC-rpd] Last call - Academic IPv4 Allocation- AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-03 -

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Mon Jul 8 20:45:26 UTC 2013

Academic IPv4 Allocation- AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-03

A lot has been said already on this, I just want to add my voice that I am unable to
support this policy draft as it stands right now. I would also like to note that those
who are neutral on this are basically saying that there is no need to change policy as
of now with this draft.

It has already been shown on this debate that it does not work to say that I am speaking
as an individual, so, I will put all my “hats” on.

I like to proposal because I am an academic, a hat that says I teach in at university
level. As an academic I tend to like aspects  of the policy that aim to improve the
situation for academic institutions. But I do not see why this should be restricted to
only HEI, whatever that is, it should go to other levels as well.

Basing IP address allocation on things like number of students and staffs basically says
that we would be basing this on the budget of the HEI and not on need for the IP
resources. But in most public HEIs, the budget is mostly based on need and utilisation,
so why would we move away from the same allocation based on need for IP resources?

The budget for most public HEIs is a very tight one almost all the time. This may
justify this policy which seems to aim to help cash-strapped HEIs but it also means
exposing Afrinic to more financially toxic items. Seeing the reported financial
statements this year, it becomes difficult, when I put on Afrinic hats, to assist one
set of African institutions while poisoning another.

One of the major principles of the AfrNIC PDP is fairness (3.3), everyone should be
treated the same by Afrinic policies. While seeking to help HEIs, this policy draft
seems to break this principle, across levels of academic institutions, across regions,
across AfriNIC constituencies, across levels of development, etc.

The categorization of students still remains debatable. I would like to see how HIEs
like UNISA measure up in the policy, in the simulations, and how do regions that supply
very large numbers of students to such institutions benefit from this policy. Dynamics
of HEIs seems to indicate a growing need for distance or network based education
delivery. By removing the IP resource allocation based on network need, the policy seems
to be biased to considering only the dynamics of HEIs while ignoring the dynamics of IP
resource allocation.

While I like aspects of the policy that address academics, the draft is in need of
improvement and I would like it to go around once more for more debate and possible
improvement so that I can be happy with it no matter which hat I am wearing.

Regards,

Paulos
======================
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD
http://www.registrar.mw

On 25 Jun 2013 at 11:33, Emile Milandou <emilemilan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Following the face to face discussions in Lusaka, Zambia during
> AFRINIC 18, the following proposals reached consensus during the
> meeting.
>
> Remove requirement to announce entire v6 block as single aggregate
> Steven Wiesman, Steven Tapper,Charles Hendrikson
> AFPUB-2013-V6-001-DRAFT01
>
> No Reverse Unless Assigned
> Tim McGinnis
> AFPUB-2012-DNS-001-DRAFT-02
>
> Academic IPv4 Allocation
> Andrew Alston, Sunday Folayan
> AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-03
>
> Anycast Assignments in the AFRINIC region
> Mark Elkins, Mauritz Lewies, Tim McGinnis
> AFPUB-2012-V4-001-DRAFT-01
>
> The two-week last call period for these proposals starts today 25-06-2013.
>
> At the end of the Last Call, we will make a final assessment on whether consensus has
been reached by taking into consideration the comments from the Public Policy Meeting as
well as those during this Last Call period.