[AFRINIC-rpd] Commencement of the last call

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Thu Jun 27 03:41:08 UTC 2013

Andrew

please note I'm allowed to discuss on this list in my individual capacity.

But what I'm trying to do for all is to encourage open thinking and to allow for synergy.  however passionate one is towards a policy lets not be blind to some of the weak points of the policy and if really we have the good of the entire community at hand we should be prepared to openly ask the questions.

Being Chair does and should never mean that I'm the Almanac of all AfriNIC and internet policy.  I have enough Humility to say that i do not know everything and i have no problem saying here on the list.   We should all be open to share and learn from each other.

What some members are saying is that your policy however good intentioned it is needs some modifications.  I also think Alan(APB) did point that changes can be made to a policy during last call.

If you look at all my posts you will find that though i have clearly stated that I'm not in support I'm asking us to think deeper and wider at what areas can make this proposal palatable to the whole community.

From an AfriNIC point of view the questions that need to be asked regardless of floor consensus i believe would be as follows

What is the effect of this proposal on the sustainability of AfriNIC ???

Does the proposal enable Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration for the whole community ??

is the proposal Technically Sound and in line with generally acceptable practice  ??

My issue is that we all take one of two positions.  we either fight the proposal or blindly support.  I want us to look for the third alternative.  Look at some of the points raised by members and see how we can take all points and create a proposal even better than the original proposal.

if our intention is deeply genuine which knowing yours and Sundays passion i do not think we should rush the proposal for the sake of last call.  Lets honestly look at the options.

if you saw the list sent out you will see that in Uganda only RENU seems to have a resource i would like more HEI's in my country to have the resources but would not like to have this at the expense of breaking the current system.  I do not think it is in the spirit of the internet and it's policies.

So all I'm asking once again is that with a bit of humility and all your technical and community spirits lets step back look at the policy in its entirety and openly find that third alternative that will bring the community together.

regards

BN (in my individual capacity)