[AFRINIC-rpd] Commencement of the last call

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Wed Jun 26 09:32:29 UTC 2013

Thanks Alan

You see there has been a claim that current policies will allow for Afrinic resources to be taken of the continent and thus bringing this policy in will keep the resources on the continent.    The point below i believe refutes this justification completely.

On Jun 26, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Badru Ntege wrote:
>> There is nothing stoping this institution now using the resources to set up a local for profit ISP, or even passing these resources to a third party that will take them off the continent.
>
> See the existing IPv4 allocation policy, AFPUB-2005-V4-001, section 9.5:
>
> "   9.5 Validity of an assignment
> "
> "   Assignments remain valid as long as the original criteria
> "   on which the assignment was based are still in place and
> "   the assignment is registered in the AFRINIC database. An
> "   assignment is therefore invalid if it is not registered in the
> "   database and if the purpose for which it was registered has
> "   changed or no longer holds.
>
> An attempt to transfer of resources clearly invalidates the assignment under clause 9.4 of AFPUB-2005-V4-001.  I would argue that a mission change on the part of the organisation (such as serving as a for-profit ISP), would also invalidate the assignment under that clause.

So with these safe guards how will people get resources from AfriNIC and take them off the continent as is being claimed to support the policy ??
if the rules are the same then that point as justification for us to legalize hoarding of resources through this policy should not be used.