[AFRINIC-rpd] Commencement of the last call

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Jun 26 07:58:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Badru Ntege wrote:
> There is nothing stoping this institution now using the
> resources to set up a local for profit ISP, or even passing
> these resources to a third party that will take them off the
> continent.

See the existing IPv4 allocation policy, AFPUB-2005-V4-001, section 9.5:

"   9.5 Validity of an assignment
"
"   Assignments remain valid as long as the original criteria
"   on which the assignment was based are still in place and
"   the assignment is registered in the AFRINIC database. An
"   assignment is therefore invalid if it is not registered in the
"   database and if the purpose for which it was registered has
"   changed or no longer holds.

An attempt to transfer of resources clearly invalidates the
assignment under clause 9.4 of AFPUB-2005-V4-001.  I would argue
that a mission change on the part of the organisation (such as
serving as a for-profit ISP), would also invalidate the assignment
under that clause.

--apb (Alan Barrett)