[AFRINIC-rpd] PDP discussions

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Tue Jun 25 12:37:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Maye Diop wrote:
> What's is not fair is with the rule first in first out, and my
> again my deep concern about no justification, how could then
> late comers like my country will have change to get addresses ?

Under the existing policies, late-comers in your country may
find that almost all of the IPv4 address space has been used up,
and they can't get as much as they want.  (That's not the case
today, but it will bein a few years.)  Under the proposed new
policy, non-academic late-comers will still have that problem, but
academic institutions who are awake today, even if they do not yet
have large network infrastructures, will have a chance to jump in
and obtain enough IPv4 address space now to serve them for several
years into the future.

You may call that hoarding by the academic institutions to the
detriment of late-comers who are not academic institutions, and
I'd probably agree, but I don't see it as a big problem.  IPv4 is
a dead end.  If, one or two years from now, late-comers find that
they can't get more than a /22 of IPv4 space, I think that's OK.

--apb (Alan Barrett)