[AFRINIC-rpd] Latest version of the policy AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-03

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 13:19:16 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Andrew Alston
<alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please see the proposed modified version of the policy as requested by
> community consensus at the Zambian PDP Meeting.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew
>
> 1) Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal
> Given that the Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Africa are growing,
> and that Internet access within these Higher Education Institutions is
> critical to the educational experience of students, it is necessary to
> provide sufficient address space to these HEIs to allow them to function
> effectively.  When we consider that such institutions are constantly
> upgrading their Infrastructure and bandwidth to support technologies which
> are severely limited in environments using Network Address Translation
> (NAT), we believe that it is important that HEIs desirous of public address
> space should have the ability to migrate away from NAT. Such migration will
> help promote technologies such as multicast and the convergence of voice and
> data networks, which will in turn drive down the costs within such
> institutions.
> By promoting the elimination of NATs, this proposal will also assist HEIs in
> their migration to IPv6, and in fact, to qualify under this proposal,
> dual-stack and/or rollout of IPv6 at the qualifying institution is
> mandatory.

So the problem we are trying to solve is "avoid NATs and let
Universities get the space they need"

is that a good summary?  If so, I don't understand what in the current
policy restricts the Universities from eliminating NAT and getting the
addresses they need.  Clarification on this would be helpful in
removing my opposition.

> 2) Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem
> a) This proposal will simplify the allocation of address space to HEIs by
> detailing and simplifying the address justification criteria

This puts HEIs in a special category that allows them to get blocks
more easily than the rest of the community.  I don't think it fair to
allow one segment of the community to get special preference.

 b) This
> proposal recognises HEIs as end users, and removes the confusion previously
> seen where arguments have occurred as to the status of the applying
> institution. c) This proposal helps to reduce the dependence of HEIs on
> NATs, and is in line with AfriNIC's own policy of not promoting the usage of
> such translation mechanisms.. d) This proposal encourages the adoption of
> IPv6 by making the rollout of IPv6 a criterion for qualification under this
> proposal.

My position on this has been that while IPv6 adoption is a good thing,
it shouldn't be the place of the community to tell network operators
which protocol they MUST use.

> 3) Proposal
> Higher Education Institutions qualify for IP address space from AfriNIC
> based on the sum of the number of registered students and employees on their
> campus.

People don't use IP addresses, network interfaces do.