[AFRINIC-rpd] AfriNIC employs a convicted criminal as Head of IT

deepak.mehta deepak.mehta at zoho.com
Mon Mar 18 19:16:59 UTC 2013

I also don't know the particulars of this situation.

But the nature of offense is "aggravated illegal re-entry after deportation"

Why not employ someone convicted for a first degree murder at a RIR ?

I guess he's innocent in africa.

dm

---- On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:02:04 -0700 Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote ----

I don't know the particulars of this situation.

However, I would like to point out that it is entirely possible to get a conviction such as the one described based on nothing more than a clerical error or the failure to fill out all of the exactly correct forms at exactly the right time in exactly the right manner, which is no easy task and in no way straight forward.

I will also point out that it is unlikely if this was a case of much more than a clerical error that the defendant would have been released to probation with a $100 fine. The 10 month sentence is very likely to cover the time he spent waiting in prison for his case to come to a resolution. He may not have actually served any additional time in prison and that is a common way to structure these plea bargains.

I am ashamed to admit it, but, yes, my government will lock someone up for ten months over a clerical error and will push very hard for a plea bargain of this nature in order to avoid liability. They are especially good at doing this in order to take advantage of non-citizens.

Owen