[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 08:46:05 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I've been watching this whole debate with some interest and reversing my
comments while I got to grips with it, and without commenting further, I
want to put forward a hypothesis.

I state that this is merely supposition but I'd be curious to hear thoughts
on it.

So, why create an Arabic RIR... let's stop and question what COULD be
motivations

Yes, you could argue language and culture... but realistically?  Ripe
represents how many countries with how many diverse languages and cultures,
and it works, same with AfriNIC, same with LACNIC, same with APAN.  So, not
sure I really buy this.
IPv6, well, there is enough IPv6 to go around, so, get it from an Arabic RIR
or from one of the current ones, no big deal there.

However... and here is the kicker... IPv4...

Fact, Africa still has loads of IPv4 space, and burn rates which are
predicted to end it in something like 7 years.
Fact, RIPE has run out of space, there is no more.
Fact, a LOT of the Arabic countries still fall under RIPE, and can't get
space.

Form a new RIR, and with AfriNIC's current burn rate, it is ENTIRELY
possible that IANA could be lobbied to take space from AfriNIC and give it
to the new RIR considering our burn rates.  What does this mean?  Suddenly a
bunch of countries who currently cannot get space have access to resources.
Forget the North African countries, I'm talking about the ones currently in
the RIPE region.  Which means, we will see an outflow of space meant for
Africa into places that aren't African.

I said in 2010 in Tanzania, the world would come for the African IP space if
we didn't use it... my take on this... and as I said, its suspicion without
proof, here is the latest attempt, and this is one is actually pretty
clever.  While hijack space when you take it this way?  It amounts to the
same as forming fake African entities and taking the space off continent in
that way.

Smart... but no thanks...

Andrew