[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

SM sm at resistor.net
Wed Feb 27 18:27:11 UTC 2013

Hi Steve,
At 09:15 27-02-2013, Stephen Wilcox wrote:
>Its not really important - my point was that current RIRs exist
>around natural geographic areas rather than artificially defined
>political or linguistic areas that may not be contiguous.

The "natural geographic areas" is debatable.

>Actually, I rather wish the rest of my post had been commented on -
>this to me is clearly a continuation of the political lobbying from
>the same groups that caused the ITU WCIT meeting to split and it
>more about regulatory control and monetization of the Internet.

The Internet is many things to many people.  Many years ago someone
from the ASO made a suggestion which, in my opinion, is related to
the "many things to many people".  Unfortunately, there wasn't any follow-up.

According to the ITU "decisions can have huge political, social and
financial consequences".  It should not be a surprise that there is a
continuation of political lobbying.

I'll comment on your previous message.

At 08:17 26-02-2013, Stephen Wilcox wrote:
>Who exactly is behind the request - what countries/organizations?

The only information which has been provided is:

   "The matter has been raised and promoted by representatives of certain
    governments in the Arab community."

>WTSA and WCIT introduced some highly contentious issues which
>ultimately split the world's opinions and was not ratified by most
>of the developed world. It feels to me that

Some of the mailing list subscribers might not be from the developed world.

>  having lost that battle perhaps the same proponents are now
> looking for alternative ways to steer control. It is possible
> within a smaller region (AfriNIC/RIPE) that maybe there are ways in
> which a majority might be formed which are ultimately regional.

I don't think that RIPE is a small region.

>I'm not clear how IP addresses help, but clearly passing control of
>IP towards governments opens the scope for regulation. Since its
>inception the management of Internet resources has avoided being
>controlled by any government entities. And this is not in any way a
>new idea but has so far been held back by the fact that the Internet
>was not designed this way and became what it is through precisely
>the opposite of this.

It's not a matter of what I believe.  In my opinion the above is debatable.

Regards,
-sm