[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 27 00:39:21 UTC 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 1:23 PM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
>> Given current IPv4 distribution, this might get a bit ... sticky.
> It's never been tried before.

Yep. Uncharted territory.

> It looks like all this will affect the AfriNIC region the most.

Yes, if it comes to pass.  However, in my past experience, purely political efforts haven't been particularly effective since the establishment of an RIR requires consensus within the affected regions and there is a lot of inertia to overcome, particularly when service is viewed as good. If this effort really is being driven by ITU CIR-related interests, I have some skepticism things will get very far for a variety of reasons. By providing the heads up and encouraging participation in discussions, I believe the folks at AfriNIC and RIPE-NCC are handling the situation in precisely the right manner.  Of course, it is important that the technical community actually take part in those discussions and make their voices heard...

Regards,
-drc