[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:59:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> Seun,
>
> On Feb 26, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm... interesting will those be within the /8s.... perhaps they want
> RIR for the V6.
>
> I may be overly cynical (who me?) but I suspect they want an RIR for
> cultural/linguistic/political reasons, not technical ones.
>
> +1 perhaps more like political reason/political reasons/political reasons
(cultural and linguistics is diverse and IMHO this does not only affect
Arab region)

> > Come to think of it, in terms of continents i have not heard of Arab
> continent.
>
> ICP-2 doesn't require actual continents.  The actual wording is:
>
> "The proposed RIR must operate internationally in a large geographical
> region of approximately continental size."
>
> Thanks for quoting the exact word, however i will also like to quote a
part below:

Each region should be served by a single RIR, established under one
management and in one location

This will mean that RIPE NC and Afrinic will also have to review their
region coverage otherwise the following as stated by ICP-2 is will be
realistic

> The establishment of multiple RIRs in one region is likely to lead to:
>
>    - fragmentation of address space allocated to the region;
>    - difficulty for co-ordination and co-operation between the RIRs;
>    - confusion for the community within the region.
>

> What are the basis for this request,
>
> I suspect it is similar to the basis used for the establishment of APNIC,
> LACNIC, and AfriNIC -- a desire to serve a particular "continental sized"
> community.  It is not necessarily related to unhappiness with the RIR
> service folks in that area are already getting, e.g., were folks in African
> nations unhappy with the service they were getting from RIPE-NCC and ARIN
> before AfriNIC was established?

Well you have made a point, however these community is within a region that
already have a RIR that serves the community "adequately", although i did
not experience how IP allocation request from Africa was before AfriINIC
however i can guess that it will be more tideous than what we have at the
moment (and lets not forget that request will be quite few at that time)
perhaps the reason why RIPE-NCC and ARIN combined effort to serve Africa.
So unless the Arab region have a similar motive why Afrinic was
established(part of which will be related to meeting and sustaining IP
demand in Africa) then they should provide justifications that are indeed
obvious.

Regards

> Regards,
> -drc