[AFRINIC-rpd] Fwd: [AFRINIC-announce] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

Mouhamet Diop mouhamet at next.sn
Tue Feb 26 14:27:49 UTC 2013

Hello Dear All,

McTim raised one issue. But as an ecosystem, we need to thing globally what
will happen to the existing system if we start implementing at a smaller
level the fragmentation of the IP management system.

We need also to discuss this as a prism with different angles (technical,
management, geographical, organisation, institutional sustainability,
 etc.).

While i understand that this is a legitimate need and raisonnable request
and demand to have a RIR for the Arab Region, if we follow the trend, we
will execute and implement the ITU recommendation (PP10 - Plenipotentiary
resolutions) of the Management of IP blocks with countries and regions
levels.

Because i see other requests coming all along the line , China, India,
might or can also say that they represent by the size of their population ,
a raisonnable RIR, and Australia and/or Russia will raise the same issue
regarding he size of the country.

And this is exactly what we call "Open the Boite of Pandore". It will be
the beginning of the end for the Management system as we see it and as we
know it.

I give less than a year, 12 months for a predictable and happy end to
the the Global RIR system  if we follow that path.

Maybe it is or it might be a natural or unavoidable evolution way for the
management of the Critical Resources ?!!!

But the consequences of such approval are not predictable at that stage.

Cheers.

Mouhamet Diop