[AFRINIC-rpd] IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment proposal

JP Viljoen froztbyte at froztbyte.net
Fri Feb 8 13:40:54 UTC 2013

On 08 Feb 2013, at 2:51 PM, ALAIN AINA <aalain at afrinic.net> wrote:
> I have a suggestion:
>
> Internet penetration in AFRICA is low and governments have strategies. Could we  just  distribute the  v4 pool to the  economies served by AFRINIC? We may work out a formula to make this  a bit fair.
>
> So when Academic networks  need, they can get from there like others entities ( governments, businesses, telcos......)
>
> This could be a good enabler  to make the changes and local needs are best assessed locally

So you want to take it from someone who /kinda works/ (albeit slowly), to places in Africa typically rife with corruption, ineffective policy departments, and already way overrun?

The logistics alone of such a notion are staggering. How do you decide which government gets what allocation? What policies will be in effect? How do transfers work? Add on top that Africa has a common theme of geopolitical instability, and this becomes even more problematic.

The internet has long been a way to work uniformly for everyone. I don't see any reason to make it more complicated to get access to it.

-J