[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:21:58 UTC 2013

Since we're having a lot of discussion about turn around times and how
easy/hard it is to get space from AfriNIC, I figured I'd post some
statistics gathered from the AfriNIC site which could feed into this
discussion.  Just how busy is AfriNIC, and is it a human resource problem
that is resulting in such huge delays or is the analysis of the documents
simply so invasive and the process so complicated that the delays and
problems creep in?  To answer that question, we need to take a close look at
what AfriNIC has claimed about its staff numbers, and then look at the
allocation rates.

If I recall, AfriNIC has said it has 5 staff members in R&S, if we calculate
that out, we come out an average of 800 working man hours a month based on
160 hours a month per person (calculated on 4 weeks a month, 8 hours a day).

At the current allocation rates on ASN's, IP space and new membership
applications, that calculates out as follows:

 49 man hours per IP application (194 applications, 16.16 applications on
average per month)
68 man hours per member application (141 applications, 11.75 per month
average)
66 man hours per ASN application (145 applications, 12.08 per month average)
115 man hours per IPv6 application (83 total applications, 6.08 per month
average)

Or, if we add it all up, 563 total applications among those 4 categories,
averaging out at 46.91 applications per month, or 17 man hours per
application.  Even if we work on only 3 dedicated members for R&S, this
still averages out at an average of 10.23 man hours per application.

I leave it up to the list to judge if it's the process, human resource issue
or other issue that's causing these kinda numbers....

Andrew