[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jan 27 23:11:43 UTC 2013

OK... I'll take a stab at this...

The proposal is not particularly likely to be abused.

It is impossible in this day and age to call yourself a university and not provide internet access to your student population.

While some campuses may not need the full 5:1 ratio, most are already trending in that direction as has been well documented
earlier in this thread and the few that aren't already are quite likely to do so in the very near future (also documented earlier in
the thread).

Additionally, any campus that is confident they will not need so many addresses can easily make a smaller request to
AfriNIC if they so choose. However, I would not call holding such addresses in reserve to meet obvious current trends
abuse, so, I don't think this is an issue.

Owen