[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

SM sm at resistor.net
Sun Jan 27 17:16:17 UTC 2013

Hi Badru,
At 05:05 27-01-2013, Badru Ntege wrote:
>I like it when you give me simple easy questions to answer.

:-)

>Yes do not create non-utilzation problem the problem by asking IP
>allocation based on student population.  As for the allocation based
>on actual planned network.
>
>My brain has failed to understand the concept of allocating IP's
>based on student population.
>This policy could be open to abuse.  Just build up a student
>population, multiply by 5 and then go the the RIR and get the
>resources.  Before we know it we have legitimized resource hoarding.

There are different ways to look at this proposal.  It is not usual
practice to assign IP addresses based on population count.  That
doesn't mean that the region should not do it as each region may have
its own considerations.

What has not discussed in this thread is whether there will be abuse,
how the proposal will be abused and how to mitigate that.

Regards,
-sm