[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sat Jan 26 14:31:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 14:45 +0100, David Conrad wrote:
> Nii,
>
> On Jan 26, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 26, 2013, at 11:11, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:
> >> I wouldn't worry about a non-utilisation problem - unless we suddenly
> >> here of that University trying to sell unused IP's.
> >
> > It would be too late...and should be avoided
>
> Wouldn't an attempt to sell address space allocated under the AfriNIC RSA be a contract violation?

Thats how I'd see it. People forget what they sign though (hence my
"suddenly hear of that University trying to sell unused IP's" comment.)

From the Registry Agreement:

Page 3:
(iv) Hereby binds itself to:
(1) notify AFRINIC whenever its circumstances so change that it is no
longer in need of the Internet number resources supplied or
being supplied to it under a Registration Service Agreement;

Page 4/5:
(d) Acknowledges that for the purpose of this agreement and in terms of
policies set up, implemented and enforced by all RIRs,
that:
(i) the numbering resources, subject matter of the present agreement,
are not property (real, personal or intellectual);
(ii) no proprietary right is being transferred in virtue of this
agreement to it;
(iii) it is bestowed with an exclusive right of use of those numbering
resources within the ambit of the “need” which it has
justified in its application and for no other purpose during the
currency of the present agreement;
(iv) transfer of the number resources is strictly prohibited.

On another note, with such an agreement in force, I believe that AfriNIC
can afford to be perhaps a little more kind to African Applicants asking
for space.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE