[AFRINIC-rpd] Re: Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Jan 26 10:44:41 UTC 2013

Hi Frank, Owen,
At 22:51 25-01-2013, Frank Habicht wrote:
>I believe it should be called "assignment" in the policy.

You both provided the same answer.  By the way I agree with what you both said.

AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-01 mentions that:

   "Under the policy, HEI shall be eligible to receive IPv4 resources
at a ratio
    not less than. [I did not include the rest of the text]

    HEIs will be classified as End Users under this policy"

There was a call for comments last year (see
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2012/002147.html ).  It's an
example of recurring problems which happen because there are only a
few people who comment when there is the opportunity to do so.  The
community does not go into the details of what it is agreeing
to.  The controversy occurs a year or so after that.

There was a survey which pointed out that 56% of people were
satisfied with AfriNIC (the company).  Information was provided by
only 35% (approximation) of the service region.    The top countries
responding were South Africa and Nigeria.  39% of respondents have a
formal plan for IPv6 deployment.  Only 31% of respondents agreed to
be charged a fee for supporting public Internet Infrastructure development.

What does all this have to do with "assignment"?  It's left to the
reader to draw his/her conclusion.

Regards,
-sm