[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Sat Jan 26 04:18:35 UTC 2013

On Jan 25, 2013, at 7:50 PM, "Andrew Alston" <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Badru,
>
>> I think we all know and agree that the BYOD option is inevitable and it
> does not take a genius to see the financial benefits.  The question here is
> we must have some agreed and feasible boundaries.  We need to make
>> sure that as we request resources which are finite and also have some
> monitory implications we have some consideration on the sustainability of
> the institution(AfriNIC).
>
>> i think the main issue is how many devices per student and how does that
> fit in the resource optimization and sustainability model.  Lets add some
> practical angle here.  You cannot honestly say that we should be looking at
>> 5 devices per student in my book this is too high. (personal opinion)
>
> Actually - That's exactly what we're saying.  And the statistics and
> information gathered from higher education institutions indicate that this
> is actually accurate.   Currently we're already seeing in excess of 3
> devices per student on wifi networks in certain large urban institutions.
> Add to the fact that you need almost 1 address per individual for the wired
> infrastructure, that's already at 4, and its climbing, fast.

The statistics are showing the demand for the urban institutions with the financial resources to build a network that can support this demand and thus the need to have an idea of the network.  But out in the real world not all academic institutions have the resources to build such networks.

which is why it is a good idea to have an understanding of the network size.  if we go by institutional population we might be introducing a major flaw.

> As for the financial implications...   AfriNIC has already increased the
> price of the EU allocations (though see comments about my strenuous
> objections to the new structure), and if need be, raise them further.  Fact
> is, at the moment by AfriNIC's own financial statement, the current fee
> structures are covering costs *before* the increase in PI fees, and the 2011
> budget as per the report indicates a drop in operational costs in the budget
> as well.  If the organization is in such need of money, fee adjustments can
> be done.  (Note, there has been no increase in fees on the LIR fees since
> 2008 as wel that I can see, so there is also room to move there).

Noted and thus the recent review

> Regarding the financial implications as well btw, I asked on this list once
> before and I ask it again.  According to the new bylaws, as members we have
> the right to request a full copy of the latest audit report.  Can you, as
> chair of the board, please enlighten us as to how we go about requesting
> such and what documentation is required.  (The FULL report, which as per the
> annual report notation is at least 23 pages long)

The Bye laws came in place this month.  So the process of implementation is underway.