[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:37:28 UTC 2013

Hi Nii,

Sorry Nii, but I object to this, strongly.  It is NOT AfriNIC's job to be IP
police.  If I can concretely demonstrate that I am using the IP addresses,
and that I have sufficient hardware and resources to use them, that should
be sufficient.  My network designs, what hardware I use, who I buy it from
etc, are NONE of AfriNIC's business.

Aside from which, how many times do I have to say this, *the designs were
submitted, the documentation was submitted, the proof of purchase was
submitted, the whole lot*

I can point to other instances, where AfriNIC has point blank refused to
accept open tender documents based on fixed designs as justification for IP
space, demanding that people show proof of EXISTENT hardware to get space,
which is bizarre, it means you have to spend potentially millions on
hardware that you have no guarantees you can address. It's a chicken before
the egg situation, buy the hardware, wait through the entire procurement
cycle, do IP planning against hardware you don't have yet, and on IP ranges
you can't predict, and once you've done that, sit for 6 weeks waiting for IP
addresses you may or may not be granted dependent on if AfriNIC decides they
feel your network design fits their standards...

Sorry, that's not the job of an RIR, the job of an RIR is to allocate space
to people who can use it and make it routable, and that in my view is their
sole responsibility as far as allocation goes.

Andrew