[AFRINIC-rpd] Questions about AfriNIC's fee structure

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:12:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Again, I post to this list since it’s the most active and since this isn’t
> really a service related issue, its more related to the billing side of
> things.
>

> Am I the only one who find’s the new End-Site fee structures as published
> at
> http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/membership-documents/273-membership-feesto be extremely misleading.

Looking at the fee structure at a glance...the first that comes to mind is
"does any of the discussion that happens here really count?"

I totally don't dig the new fee structure for end-user (which are now
referred end site). There is no reason why a site should just because of 1
or 2 IPs pay extra ranging between $1.5 to $2k. Following the allocation
size based on prefix as exhibited in that of the LIR is just as fair
enough. I am not against slightly increasing the pricing of what is in
existence before, however turning IP addressing allocation to a yam
purchasing scenario is just not proper....especially as this is coming at a
time where we are all thinking and brain storming on how v4 can be
exhausted legitimately and within Africa, in other to perhaps increase v6
deployment.

This new pricing IMHO is a killer to that move!

Regards

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti
web:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng