[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 13:06:05 UTC 2013

Hi Badru.

Its not students really needing those IPs but rather their devices.

Which are not part of the academical institution

Sorry but I find this rationalization a little bizarre.  A student brings a
phone / tablet to the University campus with them and uses the device on
Campus to access campus resources, it is being used for academic purpose and
is integrally related to the University.  You *CANNOT* classify this as LIR
space anyway because by AfriNIC rules you have to register IP allocations
from an LIR to end users.  If you classify the student devices as additional
end users, you have to statically assign them IPs and create records for
each and every user in the AfriNIC database. come on. give me a break.

Here is the Scenario, a student who has 2 mobile phones (1 android and the
other blackberry) both wireless enabled, one laptop, and one ipad ;)
By default, he/she turns the wireless features at intermediates, but the
fact is they never remember to turn one off before switching to another.
Even if they did turn off one for the other, depending on the lease time in
use on your network, their is almost a 90% assurance that the newly turned
on device will not be assigned the IP of the former device hence a new IP
will be required.

And the problem with this is?  Firstly, most won't be carrying two phones,
they are likely to be carrying a phone and a tablet, used for very different
purposes.  The phone uses the IP address for many things, potentially for
example to SIP connect into the Universities phone network (this is being
worked on at at least 3 institutions I know of right now), and roams onto
the university voice network instead of the GSM network in order to provide
the student with at-cost communications.  This allows the University to cut
its own costs in communication with the students.  The tablet, if they are
using that to browse the web etc through the University infrastructure.

So question is we want to give the IP's to the university for academic
reasons.  The two phones are provided by a commercial network operator who
already has IP's.  Why is the university wanting to get involved here.
Then at the same time the university will ask for concessions.

Errr, because if a student is using his phone/tablet/notebook to connect to
University wifi to access academic resources, he should not have to keep
paying to do so.  If he uses a provider supplied IP address, it means he
routes via the provider network, is paying per megabyte download costs, has
FAR higher latency to the academic resources on the campus through his
mobile device and generally has a poorer experience.  Furthermore, what you
are suggesting DIRECTLY contributes to the widening of the digital divide in
campus.  The rich students who can afford high 3G / HSDPA / GPRS bills and
can afford to browse resources through their phones etc get a *FAR* better
academic experience than one who cannot, and is restricted from using the
University network to do so.  Do you really want AfriNIC to get involved in
increasing the digital divide? Because that is what you are proposing.

How about we focus on just the acadmical infrastructure and if we want to go
the the BYOD (bring your own device) just offer this to one device which
will hopefully be the laptop or tablet device.

Let me explain something about the BYOD strategy on University campuses
(where University budgets are extremely stretched).

In a recent evaluation exercise I did with regards to providing Laboratory
seats to students as compared to letting them bring their own devices.  At
current the university in question has *1700* laboratory seats for students,
that lab is full 80% of the time, you have to queue for seats.  The cost per
LAB seat to deploy is in excess of $1400 per seat.  If you roll out
comprehensive wifi access, and let students bring their own devices, there
is no congestion for LAB seats and the costs drop substantially.
Furthermore, the students can then carry their work with them rather than
having to go back to the lab every day to access it.

In a calculation we did for a particular institution, the cost savings of a
BYOD strategy were so high that it justified the rollout of more than a
million dollars worth of WIFI kit, and the usage on that wifi network has
been *HIGH* since then.  Interestingly enough, the Labs are still pretty
full, the queues are just. shorter J

But, if you are suggesting we widen the digital divide by providing less
access to the poor than to the rich which is the effect of what you are
proposing. well. I'm surprised.

Andrew

Regards

Jack