[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Fri Jan 25 11:03:43 UTC 2013

On 1/25/2013 12:26 AM, SM wrote:
> From an IP addressing perspective the following suggestion is a bad idea.
> I suggest adding a condition in the proposal for connectivity to an IXP
> within the region.

No!
for getting resources from afrinic, there should be good reasons and they
should not have to do with being connected to an ixp.
fulfilling conditions of an afrinic policy should not be a reason to
connect to an IXP. I'd go as far as saying that then the Org would connect
for the wrong reasons...

Also, one (University or NREN) can ensure traffic gets routed locally
without being directly connected to an IXP. and they should have the
freedom to do that.
Doing a direct connection to the IXP is mostly the better choice, but it
should not be AfriNIC or PDP doing the choice.

Interconnection should happen. But better for good reasons. Like moving a
certain number of bits to some destinations in 20ms instead of 300ms.
It should be unrelated to IP resources and their justification.

I'd rather start a public campaign - unrelated to AfriNIC - to publicly
shame universities (like the oldest in TZ) who have no national
interconnection (other than to one ISP by virtue of a common
(multinational, local presence) provider).

Frank
supporting IXPs
supporting networks to connect to IXPs
for the right reasons