[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Jan 24 21:26:40 UTC 2013

At 12:29 16-01-2013, Andrew Alston wrote:
>Given that the Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Africa are
>growing, and that Internet access within these academic Institutions
>is critical to the educational experience of students, it is
>necessary to provide sufficient address space to these HEIs to allow
>them to function effectively.  When we consider that such institutions are

I went through some old statistics.  Internet access in some parts of
Africa when compared to the U.S was 100 times more expensive.  With
the necessary infrastructure Internet access is twice as expensive
when compared to the U.S.  The following was said four years ago:

   "IXPs in Africa count their throughput in megabit per second, and
sometimes even
    kilobit per second. The rest of the world tends to be concerned
with gigabit
    per second."

There hasn't been much of a change since then.  There is a well-known
provider established outside the region which sees about 50% of its
traffic coming from a well-known company.  Some parts of that traffic
ends up in Africa.  Anyone who has an interest in Africa as a whole
might wish to look into the details and see whether it can help
reduce the cost of Internet access in the region.

Getting IP addresses cheaply is a minor part as the picture.  If this
proposal can ease the distribution of IP addresses to over 50
universities in the region (I excluded Nigeria and South Africa for
obvious reasons) it can be a good thing.

 From an IP addressing perspective the following suggestion is a bad
idea.  I suggest adding a condition in the proposal for connectivity
to an IXP within the region.

Regards,
-sm