[AFRINIC-rpd] IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment proposal

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Thu Jan 24 16:42:38 UTC 2013

Hi Sunday,
At 04:59 24-01-2013, Sunday Folayan wrote:
>>That is the current status quo, under SM's policy this changes, requests for
>>PI space will be directed through an LIR... and this is one of the MAJOR
>>points of concern I have with the new policy
>
>SM, why do you want it that way? what additional value add is envisaged?

There are several existing policies and there is this proposal.  If
the proposal is accepted it will change  AFPUB-2005-v4-001.  If
people can get PI address space directly through the LIR under
existing policies they will still be able to get PI address space if
the proposal is accepted.

The proposal cannot direct all requests for PI space through LIRs
unless it changes several existing IPv4 address related
policies.  That's not the case.

Section 2.10 of the proposal (removed in my edited copy) mentioned that:

   2.10 Provider Independent IP Address Space

   Provider Independent (or portable) IP address space cannot be aggregated
   and can only be assigned by a RIR through an LIR.  Provider Independent (PI)
   IP address space is expensive to route and might not be globally routable.
   Sub-allocations cannot be made from this type of IP address space by the
   end user or LIR.

Here's what is in Section 5.8 of AFPUB-2005-v4-001:

   "PI (or portable) space cannot be aggregated and can only be assigned by RIR
    through an LIR.  PI space is expensive to route and might not be globally
    routable.  Sub-allocations cannot be made from this type of
address space by
    the end user or LIR."

My reading is that the text from Section 2.10 and Section 5.8 (the
2005 document) are identical.  Taken together with all existing
policies, the text could be read as PI space can only be received
through a LIR.  However, that's not the case or else nobody would
have been able to receive PI space under AFPUB-2006-GEN-001.

It is strange that since 2005 nobody has mentioned that this is a problem.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy