[AFRINIC-rpd] IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment proposal

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed Jan 23 00:47:53 UTC 2013

Hi Owen,
At 14:38 22-01-2013, Owen DeLong wrote:
>We handled this in ARIN by simply using a definition that said "The
>terms LIR and ISP are considered equivalent
>and are used interchangeably throughout this document."

I may reuse that text.  Let's see what changes have to be made to
other parts of the document and then come back to this.

>Since this appears to be a major overhaul, I figure we might as well
>get it right.

Yes.

>May I humbly suggest:
>
>An end user is an organization which does not make sub-allocations,
>allocations, or re-assignments
>of any form, but uses the space strictly within their own organization.

As a quick comment, I'll say ok.  I'll use it as a starting point.

>Yes, but any delegation to a downstream ISP should be a
>sub-allocation or allocation, not an assignment
>as that ISP will likely be making further sub-delegations.

This one is a bit complicated.  I won't comment for now.

>Certainly this policy should not be written in such a way as to
>indicate that PI space must be obtained through
>an LIR. If PI space is covered in a separate policy, then this
>policy should only refer to that policy and should
>contain no other mention of PI space, IMHO.

Yes.  I left the text in as a starting point for -01.  I'll remove it
in the next version.

>Yes, see my comment above. Given what you have said, eliminating the
>PI confusion in favor of
>a reference to the other policy seems the correct course here.

Ok.

>You didn't like "the various RIR whois databases"?

It's not that I do not like it.  I will be asked what "various" means. :-)

>That comes closer. It might be good to expand 9.1(a) to indicate that any
>allocations/assignments approved by AfriNIC are exempt from 9.1(b).

Ok.

>That would certainly make it more clear.

Andrew Alston is opposed to Section 9.

As a general comment, the hurdle is how to write text which is
friendly to the African context.  If the proposal gains agreement it
will be applicable for over 50 countries.  What works for an
organisation in Country X may be a problem for another organisation
in Country Y.  One alternative is to loosen the requirements.  It's
up to the community to decide how that should be done.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy