[AFRINIC-rpd] End-User vs. LIR for HEIs

Guy Antony Halse G.halse at ru.ac.za
Fri Jan 18 14:35:47 UTC 2013

Hi

On Fri 2013-01-18 (07:18), Pierre Lotis NANKEP wrote:
> ] Should we discuss if IP addresses should be Assigned OR
> ] Allocated to an HEI Network (i.e End-User or LIR)? Should
> ] HEI Networks be pre-categorised as EU or LIR by default
> ] no matter what their infrastructure and services are?

> In many cases, HEI will be a EU for less 10% and will be a LIR for more
> than 90%.  Hence, HEI = Type_of (LIR)

As has been discussed in a lot of detail previously, that's a very
Euro-centric view of a HE institutions.

However, I strongly support the idea that HE institutions should NOT be
pre-classifed.  Whilst many African HE institutions may well currently be
predominantly end-user type organisations, that will probably change over
time (and in fact, has probably already started changing.)