[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 00:13:06 UTC 2013

Hi Jackson,

>> Because its a networking device and it requires IP to communicate. If
>> i may ask, by how will those devices communicate without IP addresses
>> OR are you recommending such devices be assigned private IPs?

> YES!

> No public IPs are needed by those device so use private IP on them!

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with you here.  Firstly, as was
commented by another poster, the devices could be anything from desktop
machines to notebooks to phones to tablets.  Some may require public IP's
for various things, some may not.  It's extremely difficult to determine
which, and it is NOT the RIR's business to dictate what devices/applications
require public IP's and which will work via NAT, in fact that stance runs
completely contrary to AfriNIC's own stated policy of not encouraging NAT.

Furthermore,  the complexities and indeed the security flaws and dangers
behind NAT are very well documented.  While I'm declining to go into all the
details on this list, I would STRONGLY suggest you go back and do some
serious research into the disadvantages and flaws in NAT, because your
statements clearly show that you have done no such thing.

Andrew