[AFRINIC-rpd] New Policy Proposal: Inter RIR IPv4 Address Transfers (AFPUB-2013-V4-001-DRAFT-01)

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Jan 16 19:34:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 21:22 +0300, Maina Noah wrote:
> Chad,

> Since you seem to have free IP Addresses and you are willing to sale.
> This implies you do not have justification for use of this so many IP
> number resources you were allocated by the RIR.

(I've been quietly reading the ongoing discussions)

Firstly - with my "I own some Legacy Space" hat on:

I think there is a growing consensus that if space is provided by
AfriNIC under the LIR license agreement, it can not be sold and that if
it is no longer required - it should be returned to AfriNIC. I suspect
this would be the same for all RIR's?

The exception to this would be Legacy Space - as its not as such bound
by contract. If Legacy space is sold here and used in another region,
then it needs to move to that regions RIR.

If someone comes to me and offers me a large pot of gold for some of my
legacy space, I might be hard pressed not to make a sale, then spend
that money connecting more people to my network. Someone mentioned US$4
Million for a /16. With that I could (bank)roll out 70Km's of Fibre and
connect several thousand new subscribers via FTTH just using IPv6. You
see, it's so easy to justify....

My "AfriNIC Board of Directors" hat:

I would like to see AfriNIC lease out all its IPv4 address space to
African Network operators (etc) within the next year (or two). This way,
AfriNIC can collect oodles of money for these resources and thus better
fund IPv6 deployment training. This would also imply that more people in
Africa are properly connect to the Internet, Universities (etc) better
connect students - etc. ie - the African Region wins.
IPv4 after all has only a short time still to live - maybe 10 years?

My "personal hat":

I kind of like the ongoing discussions on "relaxing" restrictions on
Universities (and similar) - just perhaps smaller steps first (3:1
ratio?)
I also get the (first hand and voiced by others) impression that maybe
AfriNIC is perhaps too over-cautious in providing space to legitimate
African Companies who actually need space because the burden of "proof
of need" is perhaps too high.

All the current space that AfriNIC has though can not be sold. It can
only be leased to the applicant (African Entity) and if AfriNIC makes a
not-so-great judgement call based on "white lies" (or truth
exaggeration) from an applicant - the resource can and should be
recalled (as appropriate).
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE