[AFRINIC-rpd] New Policy Proposal: Inter RIR IPv4 Address Transfers (AFPUB-2013-V4-001-DRAFT-01)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:15:28 UTC 2013

Hi Jackson,

Actually just been looking through the AfriNIC by-laws to see exactly what
the rights of members of AfriNIC are (members being this community).

Here is what the current bylaws say (and I am NOT at this point sure if
these are the new bylaws post review or the old ones, maybe someone from
AfriNIC can clarify that, but as of what was published on the site on 27th
Sep. 2012.  Note, I am *NOT* a lawyer, hence, if what I say here is
incorrect, I would like AfriNIC to actually say so and say why my
interpretation of what seems to be pretty cut and dry is incorrect...

Firstly the definitions:

Full Member
Any individual who is admitted as a Full Member under this Constitution and
who is a "member" of the Company under the meaning of the Act;

Associate Member
Any Person who is admitted as an Associate Member under this Constitution
but who is not a "member" of the Company within the meaning of the Act;

Member
Full Member and Associate Member;

My understanding, the community who receive the resources from AfriNIC are
associate members.  ONLY the board members we elect are "Full members".

So, if this is correct, and AfriNIC can confirm... lets look and see what
powers we as the membership base actually have:

Section 7 of the bylaws...

7.1) Each Member shall be entitled to receive notice of all General Meetings
in accordance with Articles 10.4 and 10.10 below, as applicable, and to
attend all such General Meetings.
7.2) The Members shall be entitled:
(i) by majority vote on the day of each annual General Meeting, to elect the
Directors of the Company in accordance with Article 11.5 below; and
(ii) at each General Meeting, to discuss and comment on the general policies
of the Company on such issues and for such time as shall be reasonably
allowed by the chairperson of the General Meeting.

These are our rights...

Now... lets look at things we SPECIFICALLY do NOT have any right to...

Clause 7.3....

7.3) Associate Members shall not, in such capacity, have any right other
than the rights listed in Articles 7.1 and 7.2. For the avoidance of doubt,
this Article 7.3 shall be without prejudice to any contractual rights of
Associate Members in any agreement with the Company.

Clause 7.4 which, in my understanding SPECIFICALLY excludes us, the normal
members:

7.4) The Full Members shall, at General Meetings or by way of written
resolutions, in addition to the rights conferred by Articles 7.1 and 7.2,
have the right to:
(i) consider and approve by Ordinary Resolution the financial statements of
the Company;
(ii) receive any auditor's report;
(iii) consider the annual report;
(iv) determine, by Ordinary Resolution, the general policies for fulfilling
the objects of the Company;
(v) approve, in accordance with Section 130 of the Act, a major transaction;
(vi) consider and approve by Special Resolution, if appropriate, proposals
for the revocation, amendment or replacement of this Constitution;
(vii) appoint by Ordinary Resolution at each annual General Meeting the
auditor of the Company to hold office until the conclusion of the next
annual General Meeting;
(viii) request the Board, by way of a notice signed by not less than 5
percent of the Full Members, to call a special General Meeting to vote on
one or more resolutions;
(ix) and resolve, by Special Resolution, to put the Company into
liquidation.

So, and I would like AfriNIC to confirm this.

We as members have NO legal right to see the auditor's report, consider the
annual report, put the company into liquidation, force the calling of a
special general meeting, or well, anything else.

And this is the reason why I believe there is so little transparency as
well.  Because we as members are sadly, pretty powerless.  Maybe this SHOULD
be changed... but then again... it's a pretty neat situation for AfriNIC,
we're kinda powerless to change it in a legal sense.  Nice one hey?

Andrew