[AFRINIC-rpd] New Policy Proposal: Inter RIR IPv4 Address Transfers (AFPUB-2013-V4-001-DRAFT-01)

Maina Noah mainanoa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:34:03 UTC 2013

On 15 January 2013 21:58, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 15, 2013 2:58 PM, "Andrew Alston" <alston.networks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Maina,
> >

> > I personally believe that the problem is two-fold.  Firstly, the
> community tends to resist change and the argument always surfaces, why
> implement something that isn’t going to generate revenue.  The fact is
> though that many of us have been saying for years and years that IPv6 is
> not about revenue generation, it’s about revenue retention.  When the day
> arrives that customers cannot access something elsewhere in the rest of the
> world because its gone IPv6 only
> >
> I don't get it Andrew you are making it look like it's either now or never
> ;-)  will v6 allocation end at this future your are painting here?
> and an ISP cannot offer IPv6, at that point, the customer is going to walk
> and go somewhere that can give him full access to the Net, and the revenue
> from that customer is gone.
> >

> It's not now or never, but if you wait for the customer to demand it, it's
> too late. Deploying IPv6 is not an instantaneous process. You can't get the
> request from the customer today and have IPv6 delivered to them in a
> stable, scalable manner in 30 days. You're looking at a process which could
> take as little as 6 months on a small dynamic network or as much as 3-5
> years in a large-scale organization.

Owen from my experience deploying IPv6 for one of the ISP in East Africa, i
think that is a bit over-exaggerated when you say 6 months. A typical ISP
with for instance 10 POP's at minimum could deploy v6 across the core in a
month or so ...6 months is way to long even if they didn't plan well it
could take at-most 3 moons...We have mailing list like afnog etc where
folks can exchange ideas hence make life easier in case one was stuck.

So guys don't be scared 3-5 Years is way to long unless if that large-scale
organization in question has very lazy net-engineers !!!!!

My 2 cents.

Maina Noah