[AFRINIC-rpd] AfriNIC and SLA's

gift gift at itibots.com
Tue Jan 15 16:00:07 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew

I like your thinking and add that the matter should start with overall
business strategy regarding many strategic issues/KRAs such as

- resource allocation (v4,v6) eg  how can uptake be influenced rather
than wait for events to unfold?
- client/customer service i.e the SLAs you refer to
- customer growth - can penetration be influenced on a country and
continental basis and how?
- productivity
- capacity utilization

There must be smart objectives, targets, benchmarks on industry best
practices as well as performance measures that will help stimulate
organizational performance taking into account all the challenges and
opportunities in the operating environment.

Regards

Gift

On 15/01/2013 05:03 PM, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> So I've been thinking, and before I attempt to push this into policy
> form, I want some community input and opinion.
>
> It is my belief that AfriNIC is at its heart, a service organization,
> they provide services to a community of members, which is represented
> on this list.
>
> Now, as with many service organizations, I believe that such
> organizations should be bound by service level agreements.  I am not
> referring here to a penalty based approach, I am talking about a fixed
> reporting mechanism by which the community of members can evaluate the
> performance of their registry, and can then push for improvement where
> it is seen to be needed.  (Penalty based SLA's are proven ineffective
> and in any case there is no real way to apply them to an organization
> such as this one).
>
> Therefore, what I would like to see is as follows:
>
> A monthly reporting mechanism from AfriNIC that details the following:
>
> a.)How many tickets were logged with AfriNIC in the previous 30 days
>
> b.)What the average turnaround time was for aforementioned tickets
>
> c.)Where the tickets involved the allocation of new resources, what
> the turnaround time for allocation of v4, v6 and ASN resources were
> (broken down into these three categories)
>
> d.)What the total IPv4 and IPv6 space allocated was during this period
>
> e.)If there was any space redeemed or returned to the registry, how
> much space was it
>
> f.)Any other issues of pertinence to service delivery to the community.
>
> Then, I would like to see AfriNIC give us target service levels,
> particularly in regards to (b) and (c), and if they fail to meet these
> targets, explain to us on a monthly basis why the targets were not
> met, and what is being done to improve the service levels.
>
> At a previous organization for which I worked, we had a mechanism
> loosely called the SLARG (SLA Reference Group), that defined the
> actual terms of reference, and I would encourage the formation of
> something similar within AfriNIC, with members of the community
> involved to formulate the targets.
>
> The only way to improve the efficiency and performance of our registry
> to be able to, as a community, evaluate if the allocation of
> resources, which is their primary function, is happening in an
> efficient manner.  So, let's start talking SLA's.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Andrew

Gift Shava
Financial Controller

Information Technology Integrators
www. itibots.com <http://itibots.com>

Office: +26739334779, Mobile: +26772115870
Fax: +2673170457