[AFRINIC-rpd] New Policy Proposal: Inter RIR IPv4 Address Transfers (AFPUB-2013-V4-001-DRAFT-01)

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Jan 15 02:21:29 UTC 2013

Hi David,
At 16:17 14-01-2013, David Conrad wrote:
>My impression is that the reason for the smallest % of IPv4
>allocations being in the AfriNIC region is that it is a function of
>the relative lack of infrastructure and/or

There was a comment on another mailing list (
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/address-policy-wg/2012-September/007154.html
)

The infrastructure is still being set up.  There are several undersea
cables which may be operational next year.  Andrew Alston mentioned
previously that he needed more IPv4 address space.  I don't want to
be the person who has to tell him that there isn't any left. :-)

Assuming that IPv4 address space can be transferred to other regions,
it won't last long.    The projections for consumptions are based on
historical data.  I don't assume the same rate of consumption as the
infrastructure will be there.

>However, we're now at a point where the AfriNIC free pool of IPv4
>addresses is larger than the other RIRs with consumption projections
>(however flawed) that suggest AfriNIC will continue to have IPv4
>addresses long after the other regions have consumed their IPv4 free
>pools. It isn't clear to me that having a large IPv4 free pool is a
>good thing as it means those addresses are not being used to provide
>Internet connectivity.

There isn't any easy answer to all this.  I don't think that your
arguments are not good.  If I have to support dual-stack I'll still
need IPv4 address space.  Would the regional free pool be less than
other regions in a short period?  I don't have an answer to that.

Nii Quaynor asked "How come Africa having the smallest overall
allocation % of v4".  If there was hoarding it should not be so
small.  We are discussing about IPv4 addresses for more than 50
countries.  The decision affects the development of these countries.

Regards,
-sm