[AFRINIC-rpd] policy amendment proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 26 19:48:57 UTC 2012

As I stated on previous drafts, my concern is that this opens the policy to all new ICANN sanctioned TLDs which is a great way to dispose of all IPv4 freepool in the AfriNIC region in relatively short order given the incredible rate at which ICANN plans to start handing out vanity TLDs very soon now.

While I think getting rid of IPv4 and moving on to IPv6 is to be encouraged, I think that doing so in such an abrupt manner in the AfriNIC region would, in fact, be harmful and that this policy could be particularly detrimental to better critical infrastructure usage such as exchange points. It would also take IPv4 space away from uses such as IPv6 transition technologies.

Basing an organization in-region is not all that hard to do and once the space is obtained, it can be used for anycast services around the world. As IPv4 scarcity becomes more of an issue world wide (already APNIC and RIPE are out, ARIN will likely be out within 9 months), the cost of setting up an operation based in Africa with a couple of DNS servers hosted in region in order to get space for world wide operations of a TLD is relatively low compared to the cost of obtaining IPv4 resources elsewhere.

I would support the policy if it were limited to ICANN sanctioned root services and ccTLD services, but given the coming onslaught of make-icann-money-fast gTLDs, I cannot support it as currently crafted.

Owen