[AFRINIC-rpd] policy amendment proposal

Guy Antony Halse G.halse at ru.ac.za
Wed Sep 19 08:32:33 UTC 2012

On Tue 2012-09-18 (14:26), David Conrad wrote: I'd be hesitant to put
> AfriNIC staff in the position of subjectively determining whether an SLD
> is "significant" or not.  You probably want objective criteria for
> transparency and avoidance of politics.

I agree with this.  However:

> Since it is (relatively) easy to change unicast addresses even for TLDs,

This is not true in practice. It should be relatively easy, but if you're
hosting more than one CCTLD and the admin contacts are unresponsive, it can
be nearly impossible -- it took me about two years and a lot of emails and
phone calls to introduce an AAAA record for our name server.  If I hadn't
wanted to do it out of principle, I'd have given up.

I'm not quite sure how to phrase it, but the essence of this should be SLDs
that act as registries rather than end-user delegations.  (e.g. .CO.ZW
verses .BTC.BW).

- Guy
--
Manager: Systems, IT Division, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: G.Halse at ru.ac.za   Web: http://mombe.org/   IRC: rm-rf at irc.atrum.org