[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:29:58 UTC 2012

I actually agree here in the context of the LIR vs End User debate.

That however raises 2 issues, firstly, as I stated, I believe these definitions need to be made less ambiguous so that we can get some consistency and a clear picture.  There is currently no definition of End user in our policies even though the term is used.

Secondly, again, this comes down to fee structure.

Are the LIR vs End User fees disproportionate, and is what is being done for academia in terms of the discounting sufficient.

At the end of the day, the LIR vs End User debate started here because of the fee structures, and those are what we truly need to resolve.  If a University wasn't likely to be liable for thousands of dollars a year by being classified as an LIR they probably wouldn't object so much, but irrespective of this, I still hold by the position that Universities that I have dealt with (and other similar organizations), are NOT LIR by the definition of LIR as it stands.

Andrew