[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:08:42 UTC 2012

AHA,

Thank you Badu...

Let's look at this now in the context of a University Student residence.

> So an internet café has occasional users who do not have a permanent
> assignment from the café.   So they would be an enterprise in this context
> getting an allocation from an LIR.  However if they got the allocation from
> an RIR it still  would not make them an LIR.

Student residences are assigned by DHCP, from DHCP servers controlled by the central IT department.  No student has a permanent assignment, they cannot route their addresses seperately, they have no control over the backend infrastructure.  By your own wording there, that eliminates the LIR definition.

Since the debate ALL seems to be around the students use of IP space on a campus and in residences, I believe this answers that question...

Andrew