[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:10:16 UTC 2012

Hello SF,
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Universities are not the only organizations holding PI space.
>
> Yes Sir, and i have not also indicated they are the only ones, i believe
this is a multi-stakeholder discussion platform and institution is a part
of the stakeholders and also where is belong. Besides this whole thread
came about with institution as the scapegoat for this end-user/LIR talks.

> I have not read a mail from anyone, who is against discounts and more for
> Universities. There is a subsisting 50%. I stand corrected, but I believe
> the AAU at some point offered and indeed met the outstanding 50% for
> Universities.

I have not also seen any either. However, what i have seen is a move to
classify institution as LIR and thereby increasing their cost of
subscription and yes there is a 50% discount and there was a 50%
outstanding offering by AAU(although this in my opinion was not very much
available).

> Should a University that holds a /16 PI pay the same annual fee as a
> University that holds a /24 PI? I don't think so.
>
> Although i am not sure there is /24 allocation from Afrinic but what i am
sure of is that the prices vary by allocation size and it has been like
that a long time ago. For instance /16 does not get the same price quote
with /21:

http://www.afrinic.net/index.php/en/library/membership-documents/273-membership-fees

Regards

*Seun Ojedeji,