[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

SM sm at resistor.net
Sun Jul 22 06:31:48 UTC 2012

Hi Duncan,
At 08:07 21-07-2012, Duncan Martin wrote:
>I asked how AfriNIC's promotion of good numbering practice demands
>the present fee strucutre for End-Users and LIRs.  I hypothesised
>that it doesn't.  In three postings

A Local Internet Registry is allocated a block of IP addresses which
it assigns to its customers.  An End-User is assigned a block of IP
addresses for internal use.  The difference between the two is that
the LIR is doing business by reassigning IP addresses and it charges
its customers for that.

The fee structure can be changed by making a proposal at an Annual
General Meeting.  If the fees for End-Users is increased
significantly it will adversely affect universities.

Regards,
-sm