[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Guy Antony Halse G.halse at ru.ac.za
Fri Jun 29 07:39:16 UTC 2012

On Thu 2012-06-28 (17:48), Owen DeLong wrote:
>    In actual fact, a University IS an LIR and the fees ARE warranted IMHO.

This might be a moot point, but I think you are making the mistake of taking
the structure of North American and/or European universities and assuming
that it applies universally.  In the process, you're confusing the concepts
of academic freedom and autonomy.

In South Africa (I can't speak for other countries) the faculties of a
university enjoy academic freedom (in fact, it is protected constitutionally
and legally through Act 101 of 1997), but they do not have autonomy.  There
is a single Institutional Statute that defines a public higher educational
institution, and a single resulting governance structure.

- Guy
--
Systems Manager, IT Division, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: G.Halse at ru.ac.za   Web: http://mombe.org/  IRC: rm-rf at irc.atrum.org